Safe Mothers, Safe Babies

Safe Mothers, Safe Babies
Photo Credit: Anne Sherwood

19 April 2012

Get to know your SAFE Domestic Interns: Bona Ko


Introducing Bona Ko, Safe Mothers Safe Babies' Internship Coordinator at Columbia University:

"Hello to everyone working at and supporting SAFE. I am Bona, the Columbia University Internship Coordinator. As Columbia's internship coordinator I have worked on recruiting and selecting students to pursue practicums at SAFE, as well as guiding a current Columbia intern as she prepares to make a trip to Uganda this summer. I have also coordinated fundraisers and tried to spread SAFE's good work to people who are interested. 

I will soon be graduating from Columbia's Mailman School of Public health with an MPH in environmental toxicology this coming May. After I finish my MPH I will be starting medical school in Cleveland, Ohio. I got involved in SAFE a few months back when I realized that Jacquie, a fellow alumnus of Vassar College, has successfully turned the Vassar Uganda Project into a full time non-profit organization. I was one of the members of the Vassar Uganda Project as an EMT and made a trip to Uganda several years ago. This was a seminal trip and time for me, where I realized that I wanted to devote my life to better people's lives. In the future, with my MD and MPH degrees I hope to be able to influence policy makers and aid organizations anywhere in the world to improve access to health and education.

I feel very fortunate to work with such a creative and hardworking team of women and men. It is really great to see one person's idea turn into an organization that makes a meaningful difference in Uganda."

No comments:

Post a Comment